LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. LAW has a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, the rule of law and accountability and transformative justice – working to bring justice to those who need it most.
LAW’s portfolio includes multiple ground-breaking cases, which utilise creative legal strategies on behalf of victims and survivors from some of the most challenging contexts, representing more than 1000 clients.
LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, BBC News, France24, The Independent, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy, amongst others.
ABOUT THE POSITION
LAW is seeking a dedicated finance professional with excellent organizational skills to join our Finance head office. The ideal candidate will be a team player, reporting directly to the Head of Finance ensuring an efficient accounting system for the Geneva head office and for other LAW entities based overseas. The Accounting Officer will also be providing support on financial operations i.e. the regular transactional finance activity and ad ’hoc support on the yearly statutory audit and consolidation processes.
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION
Where? The position is based at LAW’s HQ in Geneva, Switzerland.
This position is funded and available for a year on a full-time basis. We are flexible for the right candidate to work up to 80%.
Salary: Competitive salary will be offered, plus medical contribution, and ample development opportunity to learn and grow.
ROLE OVERVIEW AND RESPONSIBILITY
To ensure an efficient and effective accounting records and systems for the Geneva HQ and other LAW entities based globally in collaboration with the Country Finance Managers. Also, to provide ad ’hoc supports to the Head of Finance, including for the yearly statutory audit and consolidation process. The Accounting officer will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below:
- Processing timely Geneva general ledger entries; including invoices, payments, payroll and intercompany transactions related to LAW entities;
- Monitoring incoming invoices and expense claims and make sure these are completed accurately;
- Ensure accurate data entry into the Navision for month end closing prepare and post journals in a timely manner with accuracy;
- Preparing payments and uploading payment online for validation and approval, and bank reconciliations;
- Reconcile invoices and payment with appropriate following up book-keeping;
- Manage the monthly end closing of intercompany reconciliations and to analyse intercompany differences and liaising with the Country Finance Managers to reach mutual agreement;
- Manage the monthly end closing tasks, including bank reconciliations, recharge invoices etc with other LAW entities in collaboration with the Country Finance Managers;
- Supervise the monthly closing of other LAW entities including accurate allocation in the General Ledger.
- Ensure compliance with accounting principles, regulatory requirements vis a vis staff, suppliers, state, and institutional donors;
- Support the Head of Finance to ensure financial policies and procedures are embedded across the organisation; devising tool kits, coaching and building staff capacity;
- Support the finance team with inductions to new starters;
- Support the finance team with preparation of end of year statutory audit, and any other audits;
- Support the Country Finance Managers on ad hoc basis with donor reporting, partner training and budget follow ups;
- Prepare monthly timesheets for HQ staff;
- Identify potential development allowing more efficiency in accounting and controlling.
Any other duties as specified by the Head of Finance or Senior Management.
You must have the right to work in Switzerland; work permit, residents, and EU citizen should apply;
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Accounting and Business Administration;
- 5 years demonstrated experience working in a similar role; finance operations within an INGO;
- Track record of strong accounting skills, including management of general ledger, journal entries, payrolls, and balance sheet, and internal controls;
- Knowledge of analytical accounting and SWISS GAAP RPC 21 knowledge;
- Knowledge of institutional donors;
- Knowledge of Swiss Labour Law requirements;
- Knowledge of ERP Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision)
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English and French;
- Ability to work effectively as part of multicultural team;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and advanced level in Excel;
- Ability to work under pressure with short deadlines and manage priorities.
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaboration manner.
HOW TO APPLY
The LAW Family is expanding so this is an exciting time to join us. If you have the accounting background and experience with excellent communication and interpersonal skills to support our fast-paced teams with their amazing work, we would like to hear from you.
Please submit your CV and covering letter outlining how your previous experience and skills match this role (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) in English to: Saussereau@legalactionworldwide.org. The heading of the application should read ‘Accounting Officer Geneva’.
Deadline for applications: This position is on rolling basis – LAW will be scheduling interviews as the applications come in therefore to avoid any disappointment please apply in the first instance.
Start date: As soon as possible
Only shortlisted candidates who meet the person specification criteria will be invited for interviews.
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately.
To learn more about LAW please visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org