We are expanding our team and have a created an exciting new position in our HQ office in Geneva. We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic and creative Communication Co-ordinator to help us expand our social media reach and impact and create innovative digital communications strategies in line with our advocacy strategy as one voice to showcase and amplify the voices of the victims, survivors and communities that we represent. Through your communications work you will support resource mobilisation and advocacy opportunities, and increase the profile of the organisation. You will have a broad range of digital engagement skills and relevant experience. You will report to the Head of Advocacy, Policy and Research and work closely with all of LAWs global programmes as well as LAW’s Executive Director.
LAW is an independent, non-profit organization comprised of human rights lawyers working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We have a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, natural resource exploitation, rule of law and accountability, and transformative justice, working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in Reuters, the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, France24, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
MORE ABOUT THIS POSITION
Where? The position will be based in Geneva (Job holder must have the right to work in Switzerland).
Duration? This position is open-ended on a full-time basis.
Salary: Competitive salary apply.
Reports to: Head of Advocacy, Policy and Research.
ROLE OVERVIEW AND RESPONSIBILITY
You will be responsible for global communication for LAW by supporting the Programme Manager and the Team to promote LAW’s work, increasing visibility, profile key events and advocacy activities in country and globally. You will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below:
- Supporting the Head of Advocacy Policy and Research to developing a robust communication strategy in line with advocacy strategy that outlines both online and offline communications channels including LAW’s vision, goals, target audience, and messages;
- Drafting harmonised talking point on specific topics as required;
- Building and maintaining relationships with local and international media outlets, journalists, and bloggers;
- Manage a list of relevant media contacts and history database of any media and news quoting LAW’s work;
- Coordinating with expert consultants to pitch stories, draft press releases, and organizing media interviews as required;
- Building and maintaining relationships with other organisations and partners to collaborate on communication efforts and increase visibility;
- Supporting and working closely with LAW’s programme Communication Officers in the field;
- Co-ordinate Annual Reports and communications on specific thematic or geographical reports;
- Developing a crisis communication plan for LAW.
Social Media Coordination
- Lead on the development of a social media plan, including identify different audiences for our social media channels, and plan how to increase LAW’s engagement on each;
- Lead on LAW’s Twitter account schedule, ensuring content is planned well in advance for key activities, and that we can respond to breaking news.
- Manage the Executive Director Twitter presence daily to promote LAW’s initiatives, and engage with partners;
- Liaise with programme managers and senior management to design, manage and deliver engaging content across our key social media channels, in particular Twitter and Facebook, using LAW’s work to create impactful stories, case studies, and other content to engage with our audiences.
- Lead on the development of LAW’s website to ensure that this is accurate and engaging;
- Create and maintain a LAW website database on press releases;
- Create and lead the production of LAW’s quarterly e-newsletter;
- Research and lead innovative digital communications approaches that contribute to elevating LAW’s visibility and profile;
- Monitor and evaluate communication trends, digital and media coverage.
- Collaborate in the planning and execution of LAW events, while also managing their communication;
- Ensure the communication of LAW’s 10 years anniversary plan, which include among others:
- Develop key messages that highlight the company’s achievements over the past 10 years, its values and mission, and its plans for the future, based on the 10 years Report under preparation.
- Use multiple communication channels (email, social media, website, internal newsletters, and press releases) to reach different audiences and design the online campaign and content accordingly;
- Ensure the consistency of the communication across all the event throughout the year (Geneva, the Hague, London, Beirut);
- Design posters for the event in Geneva in liaison with the Designer/Media advisor.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- Master’s degree in communications or related field.
- Minimum 4 years demonstrated experience working in a communications and or social media role;
- Track record of quality content production and social media management;
- Demonstrated experience of project management and implementation of delivering communications plans and strategies;
- Excellent knowledge of multimedia production and editing;
- Demonstrated experience designing graphics, multimedia content and design software;
- Experience in photography;
- Excellent written and oral English required, French preferred;
- Ability to work on own initiative and part of the wider team;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and strong technical literacy;
- Relevant experience working with international NGOs is preferred, ideally in human rights or humanitarian field.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send an email with a CV and covering letter in English outlining how your skills and experience match the role (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) to: email@example.com. The subject of the application should read ‘Communication Coordinator’.
The deadline for applications is 5th May 2023.
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately.