LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We have a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, natural resource exploitation, rule of law and accountability, and transformative justice, working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international and local media coverage, and recognition.
We are searching for a highly motivated individual with skills in financial accounting, to join immediately as the Finance Intern, based at the Head Office. You will report to the Finance Officer and work closely with the Finance Teams based in Geneva and field offices to strengthen LAW’s financial and administrative matters.
More about the position
Where? The position will be based in Geneva.
Duration? 6 months
Role and responsibilities
To provide assistance and support to the Finance teams on financial transactions and compiling supporting documents for multiple projects. Other duties may include:
- Collating and preparing supporting documents; payroll; quotations; time sheets;
- Assist with preparing of financial reports and operating budgets managed by LAW offices;
- Scanning documents and filing accurately;
- Preparing excel documents for financial transaction and uploading payments for validation;
- Verification and entry of payments by bank transfer and office expenditures made by other means (cash, credit card, Western Union, etc.);
- Preparing documents for audits as and when required;
- Support with various financial, administrative and compliance matters;
- Working closely with the Finance Officer to assist in monthly banking reconciliation by extracting information from Navision and matching bank statements and transactions to the accountant in reconciliation operations (bank, balance sheet, intercompany;
- Assist staff in preparing monthly time sheets for grant funded projects;
- Create and verify BER; collate receipts; check expense reports for staff and global consultant.
- Conduct compliance searches and validation and vetting of suppliers;
- Provide ad hoc support to the HQ Finance team;
- Coordinating and maintaining inventory / asset register for the Geneva office and the field offices.
- Legal right to work in Switzerland;
- Undergraduate or masters degree in finance and business, accounting or relevant field;
- Relevant 1 year experience working in a finance postition;
- Demonstrated experience working within an NGO/INGO department or team, administration, or procurement;
- Strong organisational, prioritisation, and time-management skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French;
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suits and advanced Excel (Pivot Tables, Formulas, Pivot);
- Knowledge of ERP Navision/ Business Central a preference;
- High accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to use own initiative and work independently within agreed framework
How to apply
If you are committed to supporting our amazing work and have the relevant finance background, we would like to hear from you.
To apply please send an email with your CV and a statement of interest (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) in English by 31st August 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the application should read ‘Finance Intern’.
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately.
To learn more about us visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org.