LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, rule of law and accountability, transformative justice and natural resource exploitation, working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in Reuters, the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, France24, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
We are now looking for passionate and enthusiastic Head of Advocacy and Policy to join the Senior Management Team. This is a newly created and important position working closely with and reporting directly to the Executive Director. The Head of Advocacy and Policy will lead and strengthen LAW’s global advocacy strategy and place LAW as a lead organization in its areas of thematic focus. The ideal candidate understands the international justice arena; is an excellent networker and is at ease in all levels of advocacy influencing and has a strong commitment to LAW’s mission and values. The successful candidate brings strategic, creative and critical thinking, embraces working independently, but also collaboratively as part of a team as well as partner organisations and allies.
12 Months – extension subject to funding
Preference – The Hague, Geneva and Brussels.
Flexible other location
Part-time, / flexible
Role Overview and Responsibility
The Head of Advocacy and Policy will lead on the implementation of the global communication and advocacy priorities. The post holder will provide technical and subject expert advice to the Senior Management Team and regional staff as well the development of communications-related visibility for programme activities.
Summary of key functions
- Lead LAW’s Advocacy, Policy and Communications initiatives and supervision of the communications officer(s);
- Provision of strategic direction and quality advice based on policy based research;
- Identify and coordinate LAW’s response to prioritised issues at a national and global level;
- Ensure effective implementation of knowledge sharing, knowledge management and advocacy strategy;
- Creation and strengthening of strategic partnerships.
- Lead, deliver and promote the implementation of LAW’s global strategy and theory of change in line with priorities and deadlines;
- Maintain up to date specialist knowledge of matters pertaining to LAW’s thematic areas of focus and country areas;
- Drafting talking points and messages for LAW, and for sharing with communicators at regional and global level;
- Maintain a prominent position in the media for LAW and for advocacy and fund-raising purposes, including initiating and drafting briefing notes for dissemination by LAW’s Executive Director;
- Network and work closely with other organisations in collaboration and represent LAW in global networks, events and meetings with partners;
- Identify and plan LAW events, activities and initiatives at global and regional levels across multiple platform;
- Coordinate high-level advocacy with Senior Management Team and external stakeholders including; senior parliamentarians, government and UN actors.
- Provision of strategic direction and top quality advice on policy based- research;
- Proactively offer innovative and creative ideas and propose action to LAW senior management on policy actions and key messages;
- Management of and guidance on policy based research, policy briefs ensuring top quality, relevance, and timeliness;
- Advise and identify sources of information related to policy-driven issues;
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learnt.
- Ensure potential risks associated with LAW’s positions are assessed and sign-off procedures are adhered to;
- Develop global communication strategy and activity plans for all Global and Country projects including social media; website, press, events, awards and external communication;
- Oversee the design and production of all communications content, including infographics, reports, videos and other outputs;
- Develop LAW’s branding and profile on national, regional and international platforms including identifying variety of production, key messages for collaboration with others and identify advocacy opportunities;
- Ensure high quality and delivery of consistent messaging across all comms channels including emails, social media platforms, website, project outputs (including printed and digital), presentation slides, and publications.
- Writing, editing and producing creative material, documents and advocacy tools, factsheets, articles and Annual Report;
- Drafting high-quality press releases, talking points, speeches media statements and media packages, high-profile broadcast print media and monitoring engagement and impact;
- Develop and build training amongst a group of identified LAW spokesperson, support learning and capacity building within teams on communication;
- Devise appropriate tools to support campaigns, publication prints and digital to ensure successful delivery;
- Building and maintaining relationships with policy influencers and establishing a global network of journalistic contacts.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Bachelors degree in communications, media relations, advocacy or related field;
- A minimum of eight years of technical knowledge and demonstrated experience working in journalism, policy or advocacy in a similar role;
- Significant experience and track record of content production and communications management;
- Demonstrated experience of developing communication strategies and implementation of successful advocacy and communication plan;
- Excellent knowledge of multimedia production and editing;
- Outstanding communication skills both verbal and written in English, and ability to tailor messages to different audiences
- Ability to translate often complex sustainability information into simple messages
- Substantial network of established relationships with national media.
- Relevant experience working with international NGOs is strongly preferred, ideally in human rights or humanitarian field;
- Proven experience to work on own initiative and as part of the wider team;
- Legal knowledge and/or experience is strongly preferred.
How to Apply
LAW seeks a highly motivated individual with the vision to provide the Executive Director with the required expertise and technical advice to ensure high quality communications and advocacy targets are achieved. If you are committed to human rights and have strong experience and skills, we would like to hear from you.
Please send an email with a CV and covering letter outlining how you would contribute to LAW’s development in English (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) to: email@example.com by 16th June 2021. The subject of the application should read ‘Head of Advocacy and Policy’’.
Deadline for applications
16 June 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates who meet the criteria will be invited for interviews.
- LAW is an equal opportunity employer
- All appointments are subject to satisfactory reference, employment and or vetting checks.
To learn more about LAW please visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org.