LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa, and South Asia. We focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, rule of law and accountability, transformative justice, and natural resource exploitation, working to bring justice to those who need it most.
LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in Reuters, the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, France24, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
LAW is seeking a dedicated person to join our Finance team as the Accounting Officer. The Geneva Finance team is composed of the Head of Finance, a Finance Manager, and a Financial Assistant. In the field you have 4 Finance Manager based in Lebanon, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Kenya. You should be able to support the Head of Finance by providing support on general accounting at global and Geneva levels such as regular transactional accounting activity and ad ’hoc support on the yearly statutory audit and consolidation processes. Overall purpose of the role is to ensure an efficient and effective accounting for Geneva HQ as well as for other LAW entities based overseas. This position also has a Finance Assistant reporting to them to provide administration & accounting support for Geneva based staff.
MORE ABOUT THIS POSITION
Where? The position will be based in Geneva, Switzerland.
Duration? This position is funded indefinitely on a full-time
Salary: Competitive salary apply
Role Overview and Responsibility:
To ensure an efficient and effective accounting records and systems for the Geneva HQ and other LAW entities based globally in collaboration with the Country Financial Managers. To support the Head of Finance with the yearly statutory audit and consolidation process. The post holder will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below with the support of the finance assistant:
- Process timely Geneva financial transactions including receipts, payments, payroll and recording transactions related to LAW entities;
- Monitor incoming invoices and expense claims and make sure these are completed accurately;
- Ensure accurate data entry into the Navision financial accounting system for month end closing and prepare and post journals in a timely manner with accuracy;
- Prepare payments and uploading payment online for validation and approval;
- Reconcile invoices and payment with appropriate following up book-keeping;
- Manage the month-end closing tasks, including inter-company accounts (bank reconciliations, rebooking of invoices etc with other LAW entities in collaboration with the Country Finance Managers);
- Ensure compliance with accounting principles, regulatory requirements concerning staff, suppliers, the authorities and institutional donors;
- Support the Head of Finance to ensure financial policies and procedures are embedded across the organization, devising toolkits, coaching and building staff capacity;
- Support the finance team with preparation of end of year statutory audits, and donor audits;
- Support the Country Finance Managers on ad hoc basis with donor reporting, partner training and budget follow-up;
- Be the focal point with the HR outsourcing company;
- Be the focal point with Geneva suppliers.
Only European Free Trade Association (EFTA) and EU nationals, as well as holders of a valid work permit for Switzerland, will be considered for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Accounting and Business Administration;
- 5 years demonstrated experience working in a similar role; finance operations within an INGO;
- Track record of strong accounting skills, including management of general ledger, journal entries, payrolls, and balance sheet, and internal controls;
- Good knowledge of analytical accounting and SWISS GAAP RPC 21;
- Understanding and knowledge of institutional donors;
- Knowledge of Swiss Labour Law requirements;
- Knowledge of ERP Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision or Business Central)
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English and French;
- Ability to work effectively as part of multicultural team;
- Attention to details and problem solving oriented.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work under pressure with short deadlines and manage priorities.
- Ability to work both independently and in a consultive and collaboration manner.
HOW TO APPLY
LAW is currently looking for an ambitious individual who has a track record of relevant accounting experience and skills to support finance operations. If you are ready for your next challenge we would like to hear from you.
Please send an email with your CV and covering letter in English outlining how your skills and experience match the role (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) to: email@example.com. The subject of the application should read “Accounting Officer”.
Deadline for applications: This position is on rolling basis – LAW will be scheduling interviews as the applications come in; therefore, to avoid any disappointment please apply early and no later than 23rd June 2023 (midnight Geneva time)
Start date: Immediate start
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately. Women lawyers with experience representing at-risk clients are particularly encouraged to apply.
To learn more about LAW please visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org.