LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. LAW has a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, the rule of law and accountability and transformative justice – working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s portfolio includes multiple ground-breaking cases, which utilise creative legal strategies on behalf of victims and survivors from some of the most challenging contexts, representing more than 1000 clients. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, BBC News, France24, The Independent, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
Communications Manager (Geneva)
LAW seeks a talented specialist to share LAW’s vision and to build a professional portfolio across a range of communication products and multimedia platforms. Working directly with the Executive Director and Programmes Teams the communications specialist will be innovative, developing and implementing annual communication and advocacy strategies to showcase LAW’s work. The ideal candidate will be creative, understand the international human rights to engage and work collaboratively with a team of consultants producing high visibility campaigns globally and in country.
The position will be based in Geneva, Switzerland.
This position is very flexible for the right candidate and offered on a 12-month Contract. Extension is possible subject to funding.
Competitive salary and rates apply.
Role Overview and Responsibility
The Communications Manager will lead on the implementation of the global communication priorities and will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below.
- Develop and implement a global and/or country communication strategy that includes media outreach and the creation of social media content.
- Monitor, track, and evaluate media coverage, campaigns, print, and digital publications to maximize efficiency.
- Coordinate with in- country communications focal points and LAW’s media/advocacy consultants to manage the design and production of all communications content, including infographics, reports, documentaries, and videos
- Create ways to strengthen LAW’s messaging and profile across national, regional, and international platforms.
- Identify advocacy opportunities in collaboration with journalists and key actors specifically in relation to UN, Governmental and other official events. Writing, editing, and producing creative content and advocacy tools, articles, and Annual Report.
- Drafting impactful stories based on real client’s testimonies, press releases, talking points, speeches, and other media related content.
- Develop training and capacity building programmes aiming to improve communications across teams.
- Advise further on the improvements of LAW’s branding under the guidance of the Executive Director
- Lead and plan LAW’s social media content, ensuring proactive content for key events activities, and reactive messaging to respond to breaking news
- Maintain constant identification of social media trends and select the trendy metatags to regulate the best algorithm and maximize LAW’s reach Design, manage and deliver engaging content across our key social media channels, in particular Twitter, using LAW’s work to create impactful stories
- Plan, draft and manage Executive Director/LAW’s Twitter presence
- Research and analyze performance on the various platforms and make recommendations on how to improve our communications
- Produce a monthly snapshot document to share with all LAW staff presenting social media statistics and most creative posts
- Lead, in partnership with experts and Executive Director to implement a high-level advocacy strategy in line with global priorities that engages national, regional institutions and the international community
- Build partnerships and coordinate work with other networks and allies in the field of human rights in LAW’s working contexts including local NGO and Government bodies
- Participate in coordination mechanisms at a regional and international level as and when required
Any other duties as specified by management
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, media relations, advocacy or related field
- Demonstrated 8 years’ experience working in INGO in a similar role
- Track record of experience and knowledge of developing communication strategies and implementation of successful communication plan and advocacy
- Excellent knowledge of leading and directing multimedia production at a global and regional level
- Supervising a team of communication, multimedia and campaigns
- Proven experience of project management and various digital contest and web-based tools
- Excellent knowledge of designing graphics, multimedia content and design software
- Ability of telling stories to a wide range of audience
- Experience managing a large and variable workload, and meeting tight deadlines
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English and French
- Experience in Illustrations/ post designs/ photos editing/ visibility design, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, Canva, etc..
- Experience in professional video editing: Adobe Premiere – Wondershare
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (word, excel, powerpoint, outlook)
- Eight years of technical knowledge and demonstrated experience working in journalism, policy or advocacy in a similar role
- Significant experience and track record of content production and communications management
- Knowledge in international human rights or internal criminal law will be strongly preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
The closing date for applications is 21 November 2022.
If you are an all-rounder who is resourceful and can deliver meaningful products join the LAW Family. Please submit your CV and covering letter outlining how your previous experience and skills match this role (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) to: email@example.com. The heading of the application should read ‘Communication Manager (Geneva)’
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately. Women with experience representing at-risk clients are particularly encouraged to apply.
To learn more about LAW please visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org