LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We have a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, natural resource exploitation, rule of law and accountability, and transformative justice, working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international and local media coverage, and recognition.
We are looking to recruit a highly motivated, thorough and versatile individual, with a commitment to human rights and skills in financial accounting, to fill our new role as a Finance Assistant. You will report to the Finance Officer and work closely with the Finance teams based in Geneva and field offices to strengthen LAW’s financial and administrative matters.
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION
Where? The position will be based at the Head office in Geneva. You must have the legal right to work in Switzerland.
Duration? This position is open-ended on a full-time basis.
Salary: Competitive rates of pay apply.
ROLE, OVERVIEW & RESPONSIBILITY
The Finance Assistant will work closely with the Finance teams to coordinate and ensure smooth management of the financial transactions and compiling supporting documents for multiple projects. The post holder will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below:
Financial & Accounting Support
- Support with preparing of financial reports and operating budgets managed by LAW offices;
- Collating and preparing supporting documents; payroll; quotations; time sheets;
- Scanning documents and filing accurately;
- Preparing excel documents for financial transaction and uploading payments for approval and validation;
- Verification and entry of payments by bank transfer and office expenditures made by other means (cash, credit card, Western Union, etc.);
- Support with providing required documents in preparation for audits in the field offices;
- Support with various financial, administrative and compliance matters;
- Support the Finance Officer in monthly banking reconciliation by extracting information from Navision and matching bank statements and transactions to the accountant in reconciliation operations (bank, balance sheet, intercompany;
- Prepare monthly time sheets for grant funded projects and for HQ staff members;
- Create and verify BER; collate receipts; check expense reports for staff and global consultant.
- Conduct compliance searches and validation and vetting of suppliers;
- Provide ad hoc support to the HQ Finance team;
- Coordinating and maintaining inventory / asset register for the Geneva office and the field offices.
REQUIRED SKILLS, QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE
- Legal Right to work in Switzerland;
- Bachelor’s degree in finance and accounting or professional qualifications with equivalent experience;
- 2 years demonstrated experience working in a similar finance role within an NGO department or team, administration, or procurements management preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain collaborative relationships with people from diverse national and cultural backgrounds, across several time zones;
- Strong organisational, prioritisation, and time-management skills, enabling efficient and effective work;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French;
- Knowledge of ERP Navision/ Business Central a preference;
- Demonstrated experience of strong command of Word, advanced Excel skills required (e. Pivot Tables, Formulas, Pivot);
- High accuracy and attention to detail;
- Initiative and motivation: Able to use own initiative and work independently within agreed frameworks; motivated by achieving results and completing tasks and being accountable.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are committed to supporting our amazing work and have the relevant finance experience, we would like to hear from you. We are looking for you to join the team straight away.
To apply please send an email with your CV and a statement of interest (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) in English by 23rd June 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the application should read ‘Finance Assistant Geneva’.
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately.
To learn more about us visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org.