LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, rule of law and accountability, transformative justice and natural resource exploitation, working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in Reuters, the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, France24, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
In South Sudan, LAW is working with national NGOs on access to justice for victims of gender-based violence, transitional justice and accountability for international crimes.
Reports to: Duration:
South Sudan Programme Manager 12 months – extension subject to funding
Preferred; The Hague or East Africa 40 hours per week
Flexible other locations
Role Overview and Responsibility:
The Legal Advisor will support the Programme Manager and the team to produce quality submissions, reports, and disseminate information to promote LAW’s work. They will provide overall support with the management of information, advocacy material and fundraising. The post holder will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below:
- Develop high quality legal documents including submissions, reports, position papers, legal briefs, complex concept notes;
- Support the building of casefiles for strategic litigation, including legal research and drafting, open source research, and participation to evidence gathering as appropriate;
- Support capacity building of partner organisations through providing logistical and substantive support to the design and delivery of trainings on investigating and prosecuting international crimes, legal aid, and other topics as required;
- Regularly update on relevant contextual development (political, economic, judicial, security, etc);
- Support to project monitoring and reporting on indicators;
- Undertake other assignments as may be requested by the Programme Manager and LAW management.
- Contribute to drafting of concept notes, proposals and donor reports.
- Draft donor briefings with visually appealing stories to highlight LAW’s impact of projects;
- Prepare presentations and talking points as required.
Advocacy and Communications
- Support the implementation of the advocacy strategy and design products that can be shared with both internal and external stakeholders, based on evidence gathered from the programmes;
- Contribute to the design and delivery of high-level advocacy events, liaising with panellists, preparing concept notes, agendas, flyers, and circulating all to participants.
- Promote the profile and visibility of the programme and represent LAW on national and regional platforms, when required;
- Establish networks with local and international NGO’s and participate in coordination mechanisms at a regional level;
- Coordinate and ensure that website and social media content related to the programmes is up to date and engaging audiences;
- Contribute to LAW’s advocacy tools, including factsheets and LAW Annual Report.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Bachelors degree in law with a focus on human rights, or international criminal law or related field;
- 5 year’s demonstrated experience working in the field of law in domestic or international settings;
- Minimum 3 years demonstrated experience of drafting legal documents and reports for a variety of audiences;
- Experience interacting with vulnerable individuals and or assisting victims of gender-based violence;
- Experience working across insecure or conflict-affected and fragile environments and demonstrated understanding of protection challenges within the region.
- Excellent drafting, research and analytical skills, in English;
- Proficiency in handling casework and information management.
- Strong understanding of East African domestic and regional, and international criminal justice and human rights mechanisms;
- Ability to manage variable workload and meeting tight deadlines;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work on own initiative and independently;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint, and strong technical literacy.
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task and prioritize, and highly motivated.
Regional travel in East Africa will be required.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are passionate, committed, human-rights oriented professional looking for your next challenge, join
us as our Legal Advisor.
Please send an email with a CV and covering letter outlining how your skills and experience match the role (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) in English to email@example.com. The subject of the application should read ‘Legal Advisor South Sudan’ .
“Deadline for applications: This position is on rolling basis – LAW will be scheduling interviews as the applications come in therefore to avoid any disappointment please kindly apply in the first instance.”
Start Date: January 2022
Only shortlisted candidates who meet the criteria will be invited for interviews. LAW is an equal opportunity employer; Women lawyers with experience representing at-risk clients are encouraged to apply.
To learn more about us visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org