LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, rule of law and accountability, transformative justice and natural resource exploitation, working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in Reuters, the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, France24, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
This is an exciting opportunity for a passionate human-rights oriented professional to work with the LAW Family and be responsible for managing the day-to-day implementation of activities to ensure the achievement of project delivery and outputs in Somalia. The Project coordinator will work closely with LAW’s Somalia Partner, stakeholders as well as to deliver technical expertise across planning, financial monitoring, M&E, security, and safeguarding.
Reports to: Duration:
Legal Advisor 12 months – extension subject to funding
Direct Report: x 2
Mogadishu, Somalia Full-time, 40 hours per week
Role Overview and Responsibility
The Legal Coordinator will ensure LAW is strengthening implementation of evidence-based interventions on the Somalia programme, as well compile and submit monthly project progress and implementation reports. The post holder will perform duties across fundraising, legal, programme and advocacy. A brief summary of key responsibilities is outlined below:
- Coordinating, and compiling documentations, proposal submissions, in addition to expanding LAW’s projects and influence in its programming in Somalia.
- Develop quality legal documents including; reports, position papers, and legal briefs; donor briefing with appealing stories to highlight LAW’s impact.
- Monitoring of the project and to work closely with partners delivering relevant technical expertise to ensure (planning, financial monitoring, M&E and security, safeguarding) and other support as appropriate. Also to represent LAW in working groups and cluster-coordination mechanisms and engaging with government bodies and institutions.
Advocacy and Communications:
- Support the implementation of the advocacy strategy and design products that can be shared with both internal and external stakeholders
Experience, Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Must be Somali citizen with no criminal record.
- Bachelors degree in law, human rights, international criminal law or related field;
- Three years demonstrated experience is a similar role; or development work;
- Demonstrated experience of writing clear and concise reports, and analysing data for variety of audiences;
- Proven experience in project planning, design, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience working across insecure or conflict-affected and fragile environments; and demonstrated understanding of protection challenges within the region;
- Knowledge and experience in implementing legal aid services, working with vulnerable communities and gender programming;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Somali and English;
- Excellent organisational skills and analytical skills with attention to detail;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and strong technical literacy;
- Ability and skills to establish positive relationships with various stakeholders;
- Experience of providing support and supervision;
How to Apply
If you have a strong commitment to LAW’s mission, with excellent project management experience and a ‘can do’ attitude please apply!
Please send an email with a CV and covering letter outlining how your skills and experience match the role (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) in English to: email@example.com no later than 6 December 2021. The subject of the application should read ‘Legal Coordinator Somalia.’
Deadline for applications: 6 December 2021 – LAW will arrange interviews on a rolling basis therefore please apply in the first instance
Start date: Immediate start
- Only shortlisted candidates who meet the criteria will be invited for interviews.
- LAW is an equal opportunity employer
- Women lawyers with experience representing at-risk clients are particularly encouraged to apply
- All appointments are subject to satisfactory reference, employment and vetting checks
To learn more about us visit our website: http://www.legalactionworldwide.org