Legal Action Worldwide (LAW) is an independent non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists. working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We have a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, rule of law and accountability, human rights abuses and violations, and transformative justice, working to bring justice to those who need it most. Our activities are centred around four mutually reinforcing pillars: (1) Legal empowerment and legal aid, providing legal information, assistance and representation to individuals and communities to facilitate their access to justice and thereby empowering them to assert their rights, including through (2) Strategic litigation, as a method for combating impunity for the perpetrators of atrocity crimes and for precipitating significant changes in the law, practice, or public awareness, (3) Strategic Advocacy, along with our national partners to promote human rights and the rule of law, often linked to strategic litigation cases, and (4) Technical assistance, to justice institutions, law faculties and national partners to strengthen their ability to deliver survivor-centred and effective justice.
LAW is seeking monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) consultants to join us. The consultants will work closely with the field and partner staff. We are offering a fixed-fee framework agreement for a minimum of one year (renewable with mutual agreement and subject to funding). Individual assignments with clear deliverables, timescales and costs will be commissioned under the framework agreement based on the requirements of our country programmes. Our programme counties include the Middle East, Africa and South Asia and whilst some work can be done remotely, some travel will be necessary. This is subject to budgets and Covid restrictions and precautions. The consultant will have in-depth experience of conducting various MEAL tasks, and experience working at management level in conflict and post conflict countries, with local civil society organisations, in one or several of LAW’s focus areas.
Reports to: Operations Director for an overall framework; Programme Managers or Executive Director for individual assignments
Duration: 12 months renewable subject to funding
Hours: To reflect and agreed upon the assignment; Flexible / Daily rate
Location: Travel to LAW Country offices; Depending on the assignment
The Consultant will perform a range of activities which will vary depending on the assignment, but may include any or all of the following:
- Design and implement mid-term and/or final evaluations of projects.
- Prepare monitoring and evaluation reports for LAW and LAW’s donors and provide concrete recommendations to improve LAW’s programme design and delivery.
- Prepare MEAL plans for LAW’s programmes and projects;
- Develop and implement methodologies and standards for monitoring and evaluating project activities and improving data quality, and develop presentations and written reports based on findings.
- Advise and support LAW’s and its local partners’ teams to design, implement and improve monitoring frameworks.
- Advise and support LAW’s and its local partners’ team to design, implement and improve accountability frameworks.
- Design and support qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis in support of research projects and baseline surveys.
- Design baseline and beneficiaries’ surveys, pre and post training tests, feedback mechanisms and any other monitoring and accountability tool required.
- Provide technical advice on proposals, in particular result frameworks and MEAL frameworks, and support the development of the log frame, including indicators allowing LAW to adequately measure the results and impact of its projects.
- Develop and improve systems to store, manage and retrieve monitoring and evaluation information and data.
- Collate and analyse monitoring and evaluation data from partners and other sources and provide reporting on projects’ outcomes.
- Identify risks to projects’ ability to report on outputs, outcomes and impact.
- Advise and support LAW in the development of learning frameworks, support LAW to integrate learning at every stage of the project cycle to improve the design of projects and their integration in larger programming.
- Develop presentations and written reports on lessons learned.
- Other related outputs as agreed upon between the consultant and LAW.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- Master’s degree in law, development studies, social science, or a relevant field;
- Demonstrated experience in strategic decision-making or at senior management level projects involving transitional justice, legal aid, Human Rights, GBV, gender equality and vulnerable groups;
- 5 to 10 years’ experience in monitoring and evaluations in the humanitarian or development sector, with a record of monitoring projects;
- Track record of conducting evaluations of projects with an emphasis on one or several of LAW’s areas of focus;
- Experience working across insecure or conflict-affected and fragile environments and demonstrated understanding of protection challenges in various complex operating environments;
- Excellent drafting and communication skills, including fluency in English;
- Excellent relationship management skills and experience working with civil society organisations at the grassroot level.
HOW TO APPLY
The work is both rewarding and challenging and if you have the right skills and experience join us!
Please send an email with your CV, a cover letter and an example of previous work along with your daily rate (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) in English to: email@example.com. The subject of the application should read ‘MEAL Consultant’
Deadline for applications: This position is on a rolling basis – LAW will be scheduling interviews as the applications come in therefore, please apply in the first instance.
Start date: Immediate start
Only shortlisted candidates who meet the person specification criteria will be invited for interviews.
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately. Women with relevant experience are particularly encouraged to apply.
To learn more about LAW please visit our website: https://www.legalactionworldwide.org