LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We have a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, natural resource exploitation, rule of law and accountability, and transformative justice, working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international and local media coverage and recognition.
We are looking for a highly motivated, thorough and versatile individual, with a commitment to human rights, to support our leg aid programme in Somalia. You will work closely with our field team, including paralegals and lawyers, who provide legal information, assistance and representation to victims and survivors of human rights violations and abuses, in particular from displaced communities. You will have experience working with vulnerable people, and an understanding of Somalia and/or international law.
More about this position
Where? This is a national post based in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Duration? This is a 12-month contract on a full-time basis. Possible extension subject to funding.
Salary: Competitive rates of service fee will apply.
The following deliverables are tasks and activities which are expected to take place under this role. The Project Coordinator must complete the following tasks to the highest standard, and in line with deadlines. The key deliverables are outlined below:
- Provide updates and analysis of the context in Somalia, advising the Nairobi team and HQ on the development of LAW’s programming;
- Supervise the implementation of activities in Mogadishu, monitoring and supporting the field team;
- Monitor the project activities, and compile and submit monthly project progress and implementation reports to the Programme Manager;
- Represent LAW in the working groups and cluster-coordination mechanisms;
- Establish and maintain engagement with government bodies and institutions, attending national coordination meetings including justice and legal aid programs;
- Identify women led organisations and stakeholders to participate in consultations and trainings;
- Work closely with LAW partners and identify relevant technical trainings for capacity building (planning, financial monitoring, M&E, security, safeguarding) and ensure appropriate support is available;
- Coordinate meetings, missions to the camps, and other project-related activities;
- Support in the preparation of legal analysis, guidance documents, and training content, on legal issues related to the programme.
- Advise on matters of Somalia domestic law and practice as required.
Fundraising and Donor Reporting
- Monitor and identify calls for proposals to expand LAW’s projects and influence in its programming in Somalia;
- Support the Programme Manager in preparation of concept notes and proposals for funding, compiling updates and documentation;
- Lead on the preparation of donor reports and other impact reports, including preparation of project data and success stories for donor briefings.
Advocacy and Communications
- Support the Head of Advocacy and Communications Officers with the with evidence gathered from the programme;
- Provide analysis of the context and advise on the continued development of advocacy strategies in Somalia.
- Act as security focal person for Somalia, providing weekly updates on security to the team in Mogadishu, Nairobi, and HQ where required, and escalating security risks to management;
- Ensure security SOPs and security plan are up to date and ensure implementation of security and safety procedures, including digital security plans for Somalia;
Any other duties as specified by management.
Required Skills, Qualification and Experience
- You must be a Somali citizen with no criminal record;
- Bachelor’s degree in Law, Masters in related field is an asset (international law, human rights, international development etc);
- minimum 4 years’ experience working with vulnerable communities, in a similar role or development work;
- Demonstrated 2 years’ experience in project implementation and management;
- Knowledge and experience of Somalia’s legal system;
- Excellent organisational, prioritisation and multitasking skills;
- Experience working across conflict-affected and fragile environments; and demonstrated understanding of protection challenges within the region;
- Ability to meet deadlines and take on tasks from beginning to fulfilment.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Somali;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and take initiative;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and strong technical literacy.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills with both survivors and programme staff.
How to apply
If you are committed to supporting our amazing work and have the relevant legal background programme experience, we would like to hear from you. We are looking for you to join the team straight away.
To apply please send an email with your CV and a statement of interest in English (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4), by 3rd June 2023 to: email@example.com. You are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The subject of the application should read ‘Project Coordinator Somalia’.
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately.
To learn more about us visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org.