Legal Action Worldwide (LAW) is expanding and has created a new and exciting position for an experienced and qualified Finance Manager to join the Finance Head Office team. S/he will be reporting directly to the Head of Finance, working closely with Programme Managers and Finance Managers (FM) in the field as well as project teams and LAW’s partners.
The successful candidate will be responsible to provide support to all field FM with financial planning, grant financial reports, and accounting ensuring compliance in line with specific grants and LAW’s financial regulations. S/he will support the Head of Finance closely with operational duties at the Head office and build staff capacity in Hub offices, as well as optimize the standardization of processes and tools, and the financial consolidation process at the global level. The work will be diverse and challenging.
BACKGROUND ABOUT LAW
LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. LAW has a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, the rule of law and accountability and transformative justice – working to bring justice to those who need it most.
LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, BBC News, France24, The Independent, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION
Where? The position will be based at our Head Office in Geneva, Switzerland. S/he should have the right to work in Switzerland or within the EU. Travel opportunities is also available.
Duration: This is a Permanent and full-time position.
Salary: Competitive rates of pay apply.
The Finance Manager will have solid experience in financial grant reporting, to manage a portfolio of several grants including sub-grantees and support the Head of Finance to improve organisation’s policies and procedures. Within a growing team, the position reports to the Head of Finance and works in collaboration of the Accounting Officer and the Grants Financial Manager. S/he will liaise with Programme Managers, and potentially with the Financial Managers based in the field, and stakeholders involved in LAW projects.
- Provide support to field finance managers for effective and timely financial management of donor agreements and sub-agreements at the field level;
- Map out donor requirements and expectations and evaluate and develop financial accounting and reporting structures to ensure compliance with donor regulations and LAW policies;
- Ensure the standardization of processes and templates within hub offices;
- Develop and monitor effective financial control mechanisms between LAW and partners;
- Support reconciliation and consolidation analysis related to grant and/or project milestones and at close-outs in the field;
- Support field financial managers to provide accurate financial analysis, including budget variance analysis, as well as an analysis of commitments against spent on a monthly basis, to support appropriate financial decisions;
- Identify gaps in knowledge and as relevant mentor, train and develop finance managers on grant and partner management;
- Ensure that all non-finance field staff receive an induction and are familiar with procurement and financial procedures relevant to their duties;
- Jointly with the finance and project managers in the field, ensure that risk management mitigation measures are implemented.
- Coordinate and prepare for periodic audits on assigned grant agreements or sub-agreements and oversee the implementation and closure of audit findings and recommendations;
- Develop staff capacity, learnings and contribute to the improvement of the financial reporting and donor allocation process, as well as yearly statutory audit for each hub’s office;
- Support the Head of Finance in the preparation of financial information relating to new donor proposals as required;
- Support the Head of Finance in the consolidated yearly statutory audit for grants.
Accounting and transactions
- In collaboration with the Accounting Officer, make sure that transactions are properly allocated to the field;
- Collate all invoices related to the field grants managed by Geneva, and make sure they are properly documented and paid on time.
- The right to work in Switzerland or within the EU;
- Master’s degree in finance, financial controlling, or business management;
- Demonstrated 5 years’ experience or more in a senior finance management position working for an international non-for-profit organization.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; and French;
- Track record and advanced skills in Excel;
- Knowledge of RPC 21 SWISS GAAP;
- Demonstrated experience of working on US and EU grants with sub-grantees is preferred;
- Knowledge of ERP accounting system Microsoft Dynamics Navision a preferred;
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Demonstrated experience of facilitating audit and compliance requirements;
- Ability to communicate to a wide range of stakeholders including technical financial matters to individuals not versed in financial management.
- Excellent organizational skills, including ability to effectively manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and to effectively problem solve and troubleshooting.
HOW TO APPLY
LAW seeks an experienced finance manager who shares our passion for human rights and championing strong financial management to the front line. If you have the right skills and experience join the LAW Family!
Please submit your CV and covering letter outlining how your previous experience and skills match this role (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The heading of the application should read Finance Manager Geneva’
Deadline for applications: This position is on rolling basis – LAW will be scheduling interviews as the applications come in; therefore, to avoid any disappointment please apply early and no later than 1st September 2023.
Start date: Immediate
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills, and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately.
To learn more about LAW please visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org.