LAW is an independent, non-profit organization comprised of human rights lawyers working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We have a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, natural resource exploitation, rule of law and accountability, and transformative justice, working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international and local media coverage and recognition.
We are looking for a highly motivated, thorough and versatile individual, with a commitment to human rights, to support our programmes in the Middle East. You will report directly to the Programme Manager and work closely with our field team, including and lawyers, and Legal Information Officers who provide legal information, assistance and representation to victims and survivors of human rights violations and abuses, in particular from displaced communities. You must have experience working with vulnerable people, and an understanding of implementing programme activities including reporting and monitoring and evaluation tool kits.
Where? This is a post based in LAW’s office in Beirut, Lebanon.
Duration? This is a 12-month contract on a full-time basis. Possible extension subject to funding.
Salary: Competitive rates of service fee will apply.
The following deliverables are tasks and activities which are expected to take place under this role.
The Project Coordinator must complete the following tasks to the highest standard, and in line with deadlines. The key deliverables are outlined below:
Policy and Programmatic:
- Supervise the team of Legal Information Officers and provide them support including capacity building;
- Supervise the implementation of activities in Lebanon, monitoring and supporting the field team;
- Develop and implement monitoring and evaluation (M&E) plan for LAW’s project activities in Lebanon, including compiling and submitting project progress and implementation reports to the Programme Manager;
- Represent LAW in the working groups and cluster-coordination mechanisms;
- Establish and maintain engagement with government bodies and institutions, attending national coordination meetings including justice and legal aid programs;
- Identify civil society organisations and stakeholders to participate in consultations and trainings;
- Act as focal point for LAW partners and identify relevant technical trainings for capacity building (planning, financial monitoring, M&E, security, safeguarding) and ensure appropriate support is available;
- Coordinate meetings, fieldwork, events, and in-country visits by LAW HQ;
- Assist the Programme Manager in drafting policy, particularly relating to security, and Standard Operating Procedures in the Middle East office
- Support the legal team in the Middle East with the preparation of legal analysis and public reports, advocacy materials, and training content.
Fundraising and Donor Reporting
- Monitor donor websites and identify calls for proposals to expand LAW’s projects in the Middle East;
- Assist the Programme Manager in preparation of concept notes and full applications/proposals for funding, and in compiling updates and documentation for fundraising purposes;
- Lead on the preparation of donor reports and other impact reports, including preparation of project data and success stories for donor briefings.
Advocacy and Communications
- Support the Regional Communications Officer in advocacy and communications by ensuring by providing contextual updates and information regarding LAW’s programmes in the Middle East.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Legal right to work in Lebanon;
- Bachelor’s degree in law; human rights, international law, international relations, political science or related field;
- Minimum 4 years demonstrated experience, with a focus on international criminal law, or international human rights law, or refugee law.
- Demonstrated experience working with vulnerable groups;
- Understanding of protection and displacement issues in the Middle East context;
- Knowledge and experience in implementing protection interventions involving at-risk communities or gender programming is preferred;
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in project planning, design, M&E, including development of M&E plans and tools;
- Experience of managing variable workload, attention to detail and meeting tight deadlines;
- Excellent drafting and communication skills, including fluency in English and Arabic;
- Proven excellent research and analytical skills;
- Active listening and analytical skills with ability to make sound judgment;
- Ability and skills to establish positive relationships with various stakeholders;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint, and strong technical literacy.
How to apply
If you are an exceptional individual with project management experience who is passionate to make a difference, we would like to hear from you. Please send an email with a CV and covering letter outlining how your skills and experience match the role (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) in English to email@example.com. The subject of the application should read ‘Programme Coordinator Middle East’.
Deadline for applications: This position is on rolling basis – LAW will be scheduling interviews as the applications come in therefore to avoid any disappointment please kindly apply in the first instance.
Start date: Immediate start in January 2024
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately. Women lawyers with experience representing at-risk clients are particularly encouraged to apply.
To learn more about us visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org